Valentine's Day 2016

Valentine's Day 2016

Monday, June 24, 2013

Carter Joy's Birth Story

According to my doctor, Carter's due date was May 18.  Well, the 18th had come and gone and still Carter had not made her grand entrance into this world. We still had a week left of school, but Tim and I decided that it would be best to relax and stay at home prior to her arrival.  

The week came and went, and still no baby.  We had a care plan for Crosby in place, hospital bags were packed, we were ready.  The only problem was, she wasn't ready quite yet. I had a few doctor's appointments to check to see if all was still well.  Dr. Chancellor wanted to schedule an induction on May 28th if she hadn't come on her own.  Tim and I decided 10 days was a fair deal, however I still wasn't completely sold on being induced. Evidently, Carter wasn't sold on the plan either...

I woke up on Monday, May 27th with some fairly intense cramping.  I started my day by having a little breakfast and some quality playtime with Crosby.  Tim and I had talked about running some errands and then relaxing.  Throughout breakfast, the cramping was fairly consistant every 6-8 minutes apart.  I knew that this was it.  I figured a shower was a must and I wanted to make sure Crosby had a place to go. 

Over the next hour, the cramps (now realizing they were contractions) were coming every 5-6 minutes.  I looked at Tim and told him that I think it's time to go (he thought I was referring to Walmart, since that was a part of our original plan).  I told him that I didn't want to have my baby at Walmart.

We dropped our big girl off at Scott and Becca's and headed off to the hospital as quickly as we could.  I wasn't up for conversation, I was too busy timing contractions (4-5 minutes apart now) and trying to breath and just stay calm.  Tim was fantastic, he drove quickly and safely. It is about a 30 minute drive to the hospital, we made great time and when we arrived my contractions were about 4 minutes apart.

We parked the car and walked up to Labor and Delivery and started the checking in process.  They have this holding room to check the mother over to make sure she's actually in labor. After quickly putting on a hospital gown and answering about 50 questions, the nurse on duty confirmed that I was inf act in active labor and could be admitted. We were checked in at 10:55am.

A quick walk to our room, IV put in, monitors attached and a few more questions answered, the nurse asked how quickly I wanted an epidural.  I didn't have to think that one over, IMMEDIATELY please! My contractions were very steady and getting more and more intense.

The anesthesiologist arrived, introduced himself and 3 tries later we had a successful epidural. That's right, 3 tries. After try number two failed, I almost, almost said forget it.  I'm thankful I didn't.

The doctor arrived and introduced herself, since it was Memorial Day my doctor was off. She explained what the timeline would look like and informed us that she'd be breaking my bag of waters.  After that event they sat me up right in the princess pose to help the baby's head drop.  Once sitting completely upright all the medicine started running to my legs and I could now feel EVERY.SINGLE.CONTRACTION.  We called the nurse and asked it I could lay back down to help the medicine move back.

Very shortly after this (an being checked) the nurse let me know it was now time to push.  The doctor wasn't in the room yet, but they thought a few practice pushes would help Carter get into position.  Two pushes and I was told to stop, they could see her hair!  We were now just waiting on the doctor to come back into the room and get suited up!

The doctor finally came in and as she was getting ready they had me push again...only to quickly stop!  She was just to close.  Once the doctor was in position and ready, I pushed 2 more times and Carter was here!

I couldn't believe it...she was finally here! At 2:31pm, Carter Joy White had finally decided to make her arrival.  The nurses immediately gave her to me and I got my first look at the little one who'd been kicking me for the past 5 months.  She is beautiful! I was able to nurse her before they cleaned her up and did all of her measurements.  That was a moment that I will forever treasure.  

Tim was a fantastic coach, once again. I love watching him with our girls.  He is an amazing dad and I feel so blessed to go through this journey with him.

No comments: